Turkey Roulade with Wonderful Pistachio Pesto
- Wonderful Pistachio Pesto:
- 1½ cups baby spinach (about 2½ ounces)
- 1 cup Wonderful Pistachios Roasted No Salt (about 4½ ounces)
- 2 large cloves garlic
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup olive oil
- Turkey roulade:
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 4 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 yellow onion diced into ¼-inch pieces (about 1½ cups)
- 1 Granny Smith apple cored, and cut into ½-inch pieces (about 1 2/3 cups)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 5 teaspoons rosemary
- ¾ teaspoon salt divided
- ½ teaspoon Ground black pepper divided
- 3 ounces day- old french bread, cut or torn into 1-inch pieces (about 1¾ cups)
- ¾ cup unsalted pistachios Toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 turkey breast skinless and boneless, butterflied (about 2½ lbs)
- 3 small red onions, cut into wedges
Pistachios, apples and onions are stuffed in this impressive, but easy main course. A nutty Wonderful Pistachio pesto is the perfect accompaniment.
- To make the pesto, place spinach, pistachios, garlic, salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Slowly pour in oil, while machine is running, about 20 seconds. Pulse to completely combine. Set aside in the refrigerator, up to one day ahead.
- To make turkey roulade, position oven rack in the center and heat oven to 375°F. Place cranberries in a small bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes until softened. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a medium skillet on medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 to 7 minutes until softened. Add apple; continue to cook, 5 to 7 minutes, until onion and apples are golden. Add ½ cup chicken broth, thyme, rosemary, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoons pepper, and simmer. Stirring occasionally and scraping up any bits that stick to the bottom of the pan, about 5 minutes, until broth is absorbed and apples are softened. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add bread and cranberries to apples and stir to combine. Pour in ⅓ cup chicken broth and stir to combine. Add additional 2 tablespoons chicken broth, as needed, until bread is moist, but not wet. Stir in pistachios and set aside to cool.
- Place turkey between sheets of plastic wrap, and pound with a meat mallet or rolling pin, to about ½-inch thick. Season each side with remaining ¼ teaspoons salt and ¼ teaspoons pepper. Place turkey, skinned side down on working surface. Spread stuffing over turkey leaving a border uncovered, about 1½-inches all around. Roll up and secure tightly with kitchen twine.
- Heat a roasting pan (or large skillet), with 2 tablespoons olive oil, on medium to medium-high heat. Brown turkey roulade on all sides, 12 to 15 minutes. Set aside on a plate. Add wire rack to roasting pan and place turkey on rack. Combine onion wedges in a bowl with 1 tablespoons oil and place in roasting pan alongside turkey. Add ½ cup chicken broth to roasting pan and place in oven.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, until turkey temperature reaches 165°F. Remove from oven, transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil. Allow to rest 10 to 15 minutes, until juices have had time to absorb, before cutting into 6 to 8 slices.
- Meanwhile, add remaining chicken broth (about ½ cup) to roasting pan, and scrape up any bits with a wooden spoon. Serve pan drippings alongside turkey with pistachio pesto.