Slow Cooker Morning Maple QuinoaBy: Jennifer Rice
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 6 hours
Servings: 4 people
This was a first attempt at cooking up a quinoa recipe for breakfast, and it was absolutely delicious as well as nutritious. It's super easy, just throw it in the crock pot and voila! Breakfast is ready!
Quinoa is one of those ingredients that I shied away from as I didn't really understand what it was, but when I realized it was gluten free I figured I would jump on the quinoa train. And I'm so glad I did... this stuff is gold! You can add frozen berries and nuts to this recipe or just throw in your favorite berries or fruits of choice. I served this with fresh banana and drizzled with maple syrup and it was delicious.
Quinoa originated with the Incas in the mountains of Bolivia, Chile and Peru. It’s been a main ingredient used in this region for 5,000 years. Quinoa is an amazing superfood that is worth incorporating into your weekly menu, whether its a breakfast meal or a dinner. Enjoy!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 1/2 cups milk (you can also use almond or coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsps maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 apple peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
More like this
- Rinse the quinoa under cold water in a fine mesh colander.
- Spray your slow cooker with non stick spray. Add all the ingredients together and mix gently.
- Cover and cook for 6 hours on low.
- Serve with sliced banana and a drizzle of maple syrup.