Sancocho de Costilla de Res (Beef Short Rib Sancocho)
- 1½ pounds beef short ribs
- 10-12 cups water
- 4 cubes Colombian aliños (about ½ cup) (seasoning cubes)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 ears of corn cut in half
- 2 green plantains cut in half (or 1 cut into four pieces)
- 4 medium russet potatoes cut in half or big chunks
- 4 medium pieces of cassava (yuca)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
In Colombia, sancocho is a very special soup, as soon as you say that you're making it, everybody starts getting ready to sit at the table and share it with the rest of the family.
For those of you who don't know what this dish is, sancocho is simply a soup made with root vegetables. It also has green plantains and corn. The star of this soup is the meat, it can either be beef, pork, chicken or hen. You put everything in a pot with lots of water, cook it and serve it with rice and avocado. I have seen that the sancochos made in other Caribbean countries have a lot more ingredients, but the Colombian version is a bit less complicated.