Quick and Easy Mushroom TacosBy: Hispanic Kitchen
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Vegetarian tacos are an awesome way to introduce meatless Mondays in your home. They're also a sneaky-good way to get the kids to eat their veggies. Actually, with these mushroom tacos, they'll be eating their fungi, but you get the idea.
The meaty mushrooms are a great substitute for beef or chicken. I used cremini mushrooms but you can easily switch them for button, portobello or shiitake. You can also include your favorite veggies and ingredients until you find your favorite recipe. For example, you can add mushrooms to these vegetarian tacos de nopales or to these ones made with avocados.
This dish is a terrific light lunch or dinner option that will take you 20 minutes to put together. I know soy sauce is a departure from the classic taco recipe, but it works so well with the sautéed mushrooms that I highly recommend it!
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tortillas
- For garnish
- 2 jalapeños sliced
- Chopped lettuce
- queso panela (you can also use cotija or other white cheeses)
- Sour cream
More like this
- Chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until most of the water has evaporated.
- Add soy sauce, chili powder and pepper. Sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Serve on warm tortillas and garnish with jalapeño slices, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, chopped cilantro and queso panela or your favorite white cheese.