Queso de Freir “Grilled Cheese”
- 2 10-oz packages TROPICAL Queso de Freir
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup TROPICAL Mexican chorizo shredded
- ½ cup TROPICAL crema Mexicana
- Pinch of salt
- 2 chipotle chiles diced
- 8 slices potato bread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 ripe avocado (2 slices per sandwich)
As the name suggests, queso de freir is a cheese made for frying. Unlike many cheeses, you don't need to bread it before frying to a crispy, golden brown. You can enjoy it on its own or use it in a variety of recipes. Here, I chose to make a "grilled" cheese that includes TROPICAL Queso de Freir, TROPICAL Mexican chorizo, and avocado. It's a simple, super tasty meal that comes together in minutes.Enjoy!
- Cut Queso de Freir into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Add 3 tsps. oil into a large skillet over medium heat and cook cheese slices until golden brown on both slices, about 2 minutes per side. Reserve.
- Using the same pan over medium heat, cook chorizo until golden and crispy, about 4 minutes. Once cooked, drain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix crema Mexicana, salt and chipotle chiles.
- Arrange bread over a flat surface and brush both sides of each slice with the melted butter.
- Spread 1 tsp. crema-chipotle mix on each slice of bread. Layer one slice of bread with 2 cheese slices, cooked chorizo and 2 avocado slices. Top with the second slice of the bread.
- Heat a griddle or pan over medium-high heat and place the sandwich for about 4 minutes on each side, or until the bread is golden brown.
- Cut in halves and serve. You can also dip it in chipotle-crema.