Potato Enchiladas with Avocado Salsa Verde
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and cut in quarters
- 1 pound tomatillos husks removed
- 2 ripe avocados peeled and pit removed
- 2 serrano chiles
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- vegetable oil for frying
- 18 corn tortillas
- 2½ to 3 cups queso fresco crumbled
- 1 red onion finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- shredded lettuce
- Kitchen Essentials for This Recipe
- A blender
- A medium Skillet
Avocado makes everything better, including these potato enchiladas smothered in avocado salsa verde! This vegetarian enchilada recipe combines potato and queso fresco, but what makes it really delicious is the rich, creamy sauce made with tomatillos, avocado, onion, garlic and serrano chiles. Adding avocado to homemade salsa verde not only adds an exquisite creaminess to the sauce, but also kicks up the flavor, taking it to a whole other level.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil in a medium saucepan with just enough water to cover them. Cover and reduce heat to low; let simmer for about 12 minutes until potatoes are fork tender; drain. Lightly mash potatoes; season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- While the potatoes are simmering, bring the tomatillos to a boil in about 6 cups of water over high heat. Cover and reduce heat to low, letting simmer for 8 to 10 minutes until tomatillos are cooked through. Remove from heat; let cool slightly.
- Purée the tomatillos with 1 cup of the water they were cooked in, the avocado, serrano chiles, onion, garlic, and cilantro in a blender until smooth. Pour sauce into a medium saucepan, stirring in more water—1/4 cup at a time—if necessary, until desired consistency; season with salt to taste. Let sauce simmer over low heat until heated through.
- Heat ½ cup of vegetable oil in a medium skillet over high heat. Fry the tortillas, one at a time, for about 30 seconds until soft and pliable.
- Transfer fried tortillas to a heat-proof plate, draining any excess oil. Spoon 2 to 3 heaping tablespoons of the mashed potato filling down the center of each tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons of crumbled queso fresco and about 1 teaspoon of chopped red onion. Fold enchiladas in half. Serve 2 to 3 enchiladas per plate. Ladle warm avocado salsa verde over the enchiladas. Garnish with shredded lettuce, chopped red onion, cilantro, and crumbled queso fresco. Buen provecho!