Oaxacan-Style RiceBy: Hispanic Kitchen
51 Gluten Free Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 5 people
This Oaxacan-style rice works as a burrito filling or as a side dish with some adobo chicken.
Oaxacan-Style Rice is a delicious Mexican rice recipe. I started making this to spice things up in the kitchen, since I was tired of constantly eating plain white rice. The best thing about it is that there are so many ways of adding it to any meal. It's the perfect side dish for Mexican-style chicken, meat and pork, among other dishes.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or olive oil
- 1 cup rice (long grain)
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ frozen corn or green beans
- 1½ cups black beans drained and rinsed
More like this
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil to medium heat in a large pan. Add the rice and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until rice becomes aromatic.
- Add the onion, garlic, poblano, and carrots. Stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, cumin, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat. Cook for 15 minutes and fold in the corn.
- Cook for just another minute or two or until all the liquid is absorbed. Add the black beans in and fluff with a fork. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
You can use green or red bell pepper if you prefer. The dish also works well with pinto beans. Garnish with lime wedges and fresh cilantro.