Jalapeño Chicken and Waffles Sandwich
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 jalapeño chiles chopped, seeded and devained
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 2 cups buttermilk at room temperature
- Cooking spray for the waffle iron
- 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
- 4 slices bacon cooked
- 1 teaspoon Mayonnaise per sandwich
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard per sandwich
- 1 teaspoon maple honey per sandwich
- 1 small romaine lettuce
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
Chicken and waffles. If you haven't tried it yet, you've surely heard about this unusual but delicious dish that combines the savory crunch of fried chicken with the fluffy sweetness of breakfast waffles. I wanted to give this new classic a personal touch by making it a sandwich and adding jalapeños. I also used rotisserie chicken to cut down on the calories. The chiles give the dish an extra kick that balances perfectly with the maple honey.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and black pepper, jalapeños and cheese. Mix well.
- Crack the eggs into the mix and whisk together. Add the melted butter and buttermilk and stir the waffle batter until just combined. If the batter appears to be too thick, add a splash of buttermilk and stir until you reach your desired pouring consistency.
- Lightly grease the waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour in about ½ cup batter in each waffle cavity, more or less depending on size of the waffle iron.
- Cook until the waffles are golden brown and crispy, about 4 to 6 minutes. Set aside covered. Continue cooking until all the batter is used up.
- Bring a large skillet to medium-high heat. Add ¼ cup oil. Cook shredded chicken with chopped bacon until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Once ready, drain and place on a separate rack set over a baking sheet while you prepare all the ingredients for your sandwich.
- Assemble your chicken and waffle sandwich. Spread mayonnaise on one waffle and Dijon mustard on the other. Place chicken mix over one waffle and pour the desired amount of maple honey on top. Top with 2 lettuce leaves and tomato, and close with the other waffle.
- Enjoy for breakfast, brunch or lunch!