Hibiscus and Goat Cheese Taquitos
- 15 flour tortillas
- 6 toothpicks
- 4 cups vegetable oil or canola, for frying
- 2 cups hibiscus flower fried
- 2 cups goat cheese
- 1 cup lettuce chopped
- 2 avocados thinly sliced
These hibiscus (or jamaica) and goat cheese taquitos were born because hibiscus flower and goat cheese are two of my favorite ingredients. While hibiscus is mostly enjoyed in tea and makes cameos in various desserts, it can also add wonderful flavor and aroma to savory recipes. It pairs wonderfully with the creamy goodness of goat cheese.
These vegetarian taquitos are made up of an unlikely match that will not disappoint!
- Bring a saucepan to medium heat, add 1 cup of oil, and fry the hibiscus flowers for 3 minutes until crispy. Place on a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Reserve.
- Slice the avocados and reserve inside the fridge.
- Using the same skillet, add more vegetable oil over low heat. Place 2 spoons of goat cheese and 1 of hibiscus flower on an open tortilla, forming a line across its center, and then roll it up.
- Use a toothpick to keep it closed by inserting it at the edge of the tortilla and running it through the center. Continue this process until all of the fried hibiscus flowers and cheese have been used.
- After they are all rolled up, start frying them in the 350° F oil. Fry a few at a time on both sides until golden brown, they will take about 2 minutes a side.
- Transfer to a plate and remove toothpicks.
- Top with lettuce and sliced avocado, and enjoy!