Frito Chili Pie Casserole
- 6 cups beef chili previously prepared and warmed
- 2 9 oz. bags Fritos corn chips
- 3 cups salsa your favorite brand
- 16 ounces colby jack, pepper jack or sharp cheddar shredded
- 2-3 pickled jalapeños seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cup white onion finely diced
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- Sour cream for garnish
When I hear the words "frito chili pie", I think of Texas! My first taste of a warm and spicy frito chili pie was during my high school years while living in Texas. I mean, what a great idea! Although my first taste of frito pie was in Texas, there is a big debate about where it originated. New Mexico also claims that this delicious idea originated there. For today's recipe, I assembled a tasty casserole suitable for gameday. Frito pie is essentially corn chips ladled with beef chili and cheese. I mean, what's not to like? Then to make it even more enticing, you could add jalapeños, onions, salsa and more cheese! Who wants some right now?
Create a frito chili pie bar for your next gameday or movie night. Keep your chili warm in the crock pot and arrange all of the fresh toppings for easy serving. Let your friends and family build their own with individual bags of corn chips. Don't forget to warm your beef chili before adding it to your casserole. Nothing worse than melted cheese on top with cold chili on the bottom!