Chorizo Cheese Rolls
- 1 pound store-bought pizza dough
- all-purpose flour for dusting
- olive oil
- 1 teaspoon oregano crushed
- 3/4 to 1 cup store bought roasted tomato salsa
- 2 cups Chihuahua or mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 cups Mexican chorizo sausage previously cooked
- 1/3 cup green onions sliced thin
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
Who can resist dishes prepared with Mexican chorizo? Not me! Especially when it is layered within these warm chorizo cheese rolls. I originally thought of serving these rolls as an alternative to plain rolls during the holidays, but once I tried them, I thought they were delicious for snacking all year round or as quick meal. Depending on what the occasion, this same recipe can be prepared to yield smaller chorizo cheese rolls to serve as an appetizer. During busy times, like the holidays, we could all use a little help to get special meals on the table in a timely manner. Get an assist from your local family owned pizza parlor and pick up some fresh pizza dough for this recipe.
To yield a softer roll, you may want to try using store bought crescent roll dough. You have to roll it out using a rolling pin to ensure the dough stays together after you fill and roll it.