Chicken Cotija and Potato Soup with Roasted Peppers and Bacon
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups potatoes diced and peeled
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup celery stalks diced
- 1/2 cup white onion chopped
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup bacon chopped
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken shredded
- 2 cups cotija cheese crumbled
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- pinch of ground nutmeg to serve on top of each soup
This chicken cotija and potato soup with roasted peppers and bacon is comforting and tasty. The veggies and bacon provide a smoky touch that's full of flavor.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat; add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, salt, pepper and thyme. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon and cook until crunchy; about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil and stir for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Reduce heat and add cotija cheese. Stir cheese mixture and shredded chicken into broth. Cook and stir until heated through.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley, cheddar cheese and ground nutmeg.