Cheese and Bean Tortilla Roll-Ups (Pinwheels)
- 1 12 inch flour tortilla for burritos or wraps (wraps come in different flavors and colors)
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 4 ounces refried beans
- 1/3-1/2 cup monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 Roma tomato seeded and diced fine
- 1/2 haas avocado sliced thin or diced small
- 1 tablespoon green onions sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
Tortilla roll-ups remind me so much of the soft, flour tortilla tacos from my childhood. Back then, it was typically a homemade tortilla filled with refried beans and a slice of sandwich cheese. The tortillas would be warmed up, filled, and rolled tight. More often than not, wrapped in foil paper to keep them warm and soft. Although they never stayed warm, we enjoyed them at room temperature and loved it! Kids and adults of all ages enjoy tortilla roll-ups filled with a variety of cheeses and simply cooked shredded chicken. Add a layer of creamy beans and avocado for extra nutrition and flavor!
Besides the basic fresh fillings listed above, some of the favorites for a kid's friendly lunch are pepperoni, ham or crumbled bacon. And instead of refried beans, try your favorite hummus flavor over the cream cheese layer.