Braised Beef in Chipotle Sauce
- 4 Rumba Meats® beef hindshanks
- 1 teaspoon black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canned chipotle chiles chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- fresh cilantro chopped
Beef hindshank is a special cut of meat that needs to be cooked the right way. It's a bit too tough to grill with or to make a carne asada, but when you braise or slow-cook it, my oh my do you get a fork-tender and tasty dish! This braised beef recipe using Rumba Meats® hindshanks (now available on Amazon!) does just that, letting the meat stew until it's just right. Another great tip when cooking this cut is to brown the meat first. This seals in the juices while giving it that beautiful crispy, caramelized surface.
Add a homemade chipotle sauce with carrots, onion, cumin and garlic, and you've got a savory, succulent and simply delicious main course with just enough heat to flavor the beef without overpowering the other ingredients. Of course, you can control the amount of chipotle you use, depending on how spicy you like your meat.