Bistec a la Mexicana (Braised Beef)
- 1 pound sirloin tip steak sliced into smaller pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion diced
- 2 serrano peppers sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon Maggi sauce or Worcestershire
- 1/3-1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed
- chopped cilantro for garnish
When you hear the words "a la mexicana," it typically refers to the colors of the Mexican flag. In this case, Bistec a la Mexicana, we're referring to its preparation with green chiles, white onions and red tomatoes! The colors of the Mexican flag. It is one of the most common home-style dishes prepared throughout Mexico. A simple side of rice and beans with warm tortillas is all you need to enjoy this most authentic Mexican dish!
For easier slicing, place the meat in the freezer for an hour. If you prefer a smoother sauce, you can blend the onions, garlic and serranos with all the tomatoes listed in the recipe. Cook as directed.