Yields 24 mini quiches
1 cup butter, softened
6 oz cream cheese, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
To make the crust: In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese, then stir in the flour. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 oz sliced cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped into ½-inch pieces
2 tablespoons shallots, minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
Kosher salt and black pepper
1¼ cups Half-and-Half
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon chives, finely sliced
Dash of Cayenne pepper
1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
10-12 grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced crosswise into ¼-inch slices
1. Make the filling: Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat, then cook the chopped mushrooms, shallots, and thyme with a good sprinkle of salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms express their juices and begin to dry up in the pan. Remove to a bowl to cool.
2. In another medium bowl, whisk together the half-and-half, eggs, chives, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and a dash of Cayenne pepper.
3. Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
4. Shape the chilled dough into 1-inch balls, then press into the bottom and up the sides of mini-muffin tins.
5. Divide the mushrooms equally between each of the pastry shells; sprinkle each with Gruyère cheese, and spoon the egg mixture into each shell. Top with a tomato slice.
6. Bake the mini quiches for 20-25 minutes or until golden and set.
This recipe is by Sweet Basil Gourmet. To find other recipes and more information on their cooking classes, visit www.sweetbasilgourmet.com.