Yields 4 to 6 servings
2 lbs. salted codfish
1 lb. potatoes, boiled, peeled, and cut in slices
1 lb. assorted tubers and tropical vegetables such as yautía (malanga), and green plantains boiled, peeled and cut in slices
1 lb. tomato, thinly sliced (or cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves)
1 lb. red onion, thinly sliced
3 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled, cut in wedges
2 tablespoons capers, finely chopped
2 avocadoes, peeled, cut in wedges
1 cup olive oil
¼ cup white vinegar
1 small garlic clove, mashed
Salt and pepper to taste
Soak the cod overnight, draining and rinsing several times to remove the extra salt.
1. Place in a pot of fresh water and cook at medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Drain and flake. Remove any bones.
2. In another pot with fresh water, place the potatoes, green plantains, yautía (malanga), or other root vegetables, add salt to taste, and boil until the vegetables are tender. Check for doneness, usually 10-12 minutes. Drain.
3. In a large dish, thoroughly layer the potatoes slices, half of the codfish, the vegetables, the rest of the codfish, and place the tomato slices on top. Add the onions, sprinkle the capers and add the egg wedges.
4. In a small bowl mix olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and black pepper.
5. Pour dressing mixture over codfish mixture and toss just enough to evenly coat.
6. Taste and re-season if necessary. Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
To learn more about me or my recipes, visit me at DenisseOller.com and at AARP, where I am a chef and nutrition expert.