By Chef John Conley, owner of Salsa Brava
Yields 4 servings
1½ pounds large sea scallops, cleaned
2/3 cup fresh lime juice
¼ cup tequila
1½ cups fresh lemon juice
½ cup sugar
2 jalapeño peppers, chopped and seeds removed
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons finely minced cilantro
1 lime, quartered
1. Place all the ingredients (except the scallops, olive oil, cilantro and quartered lime wedges), into a blender or food processor. Puree until completely blended.
2. Transfer to a glass bowl and set aside. Clean and pat dry the scallops.
3. Add the olive oil to a hot saute pan and sear the scallops until they begin to caramelize, about 1 minute. Turn the scallops over and cook on the other side for about 1 more minute, being sure not to overcook. Cook for about 30 seconds more, add the blended mixture and bring to a boil. Remove scallops and transfer to a covered dish and keep warm.
4. Continue to cook the sauce over high heat until reduced by half.
5. To serve, place the scallops on a plate, overlapping one another, and drizzle the sauce directly from the pan over them. Sprinkle with cilantro and the juice from the lime wedges.