Yields 6-8 servings
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces Spanish chorizo, peeled and thinly sliced
½ pound large shrimp, peeled and cleaned
½ Spanish onion, small dice
3 scallions, thinly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
3 Roma tomatoes, peeled and small chopped
1 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 cans (16 oz each) chickpeas, drained
1 bay leaf
1½ cups unsalted chicken broth
½ pound red potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
Salt and ground black pepper to season
8 ounces finely chopped kale
1. In a deep pan, add the sausage and let it be cook at low heat for about a minute, until golden. Put aside.
2. Add one tablespoon of oil to the pan, and once it is warm, add shrimp, season with salt and pepper to taste, and saute for 2 minutes over medium heat. Set aside.
3. Add the additional tablespoon of oil, add onion, and cook 2-3 minutes over medium low, add green onion, garlic and tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low.
4. Add the paprika and stir. Add the beans, bay leaf, chicken broth, potatoes and salt and pepper. Cook, covered, over medium heat at least 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
5. Wash kale, squeeze out excess water and add to the beans along with the chorizo and cook, covered, for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning. Discard the bay leaf. Add cooked shrimp and serve immediately.
To learn more about me or my recipes, visit me at DenisseOller.com and at AARP, where I am a chef and nutrition expert.