Yields 4-6 servings
5 large eggs
1 can (14 oz) condensed milk
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
½ cup espresso coffee
1 tablespoon vanilla
For the caramel:
2 cups sugar
¼ cup water
Special equipment: 9-inch cake or pie pan and a deep-sided pan.
1. Heat the oven to 350ºF.
2. Place the sugar and water in a heavy bottom pan and, stir lightly and place at medium-high heat until it caramelizes into a rich, amber color.
3. Remove from the heat. Pour the liquid caramel into a 9-inch cake or pie pan. Set aside.
4. In a blender or electric mixer, combine the eggs, evaporated and condensed milk, coffee, and vanilla and blend well for at least 2 minutes, until you have a smooth, homogeneous mass.
5. Pour the mix into the cake pan. Place in a deep-sided pan and pour hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
6. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for at least an hour or until the flan jiggles slightly when shaken and a paring knife comes out clean when inserted in the center.
7. Remove the pan from the water and set aside to cool. Once cooled, refrigerate the flan until well chilled to allow to set.
8. To serve, unmold the flan by running a small paring knife along the inside of the pan. Cover the pan with a dish and invert.
To learn more about me or my recipes, visit me at DenisseOller.com and at AARP, where I am a chef and nutrition expert.