Yields 4-5 medium-size arepas
1 cup warm water
½ teaspoon salt or to taste
1 cup pre-cooked white cornmeal
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup shredded mozarella cheese
1. Mix the water, salt, corn meal, butter and cheese in a bowl large enough to knead the dough.
2. Knead until all ingredients are mixed well and the dough has a soft consistency. If the dough is too dry, add a little bit more water. If it’s too moist, add more corn meal.
3. Start forming balls the size of a medium orange and place them between two sheets of plastic. Flatten it with a rolling pin to your desire thickness.
4. Cut the dough through the top plastic sheet with a cereal bowl, glass, cookie cutter, etc. Take off the plastic, the excess dough and now you have a perfectly shaped arepa.
5. Cover a griddle with spray or stick butter. Turn on the stove to medium high and when the griddle is hot enough, add the arepas. You can also use a pan.
6. Grill for 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve immediately.