Yields 6-8 servings
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 Spanish onion, cut into small dice
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
½ cup cilantro leaves, chopped and compacted
2 pounds salted codfish
2½ cups (20 ounces) fish stock
2 ears of corn, sliced
5 ounces corn kernels, cooked in unsalted water
1 cup (8 ounces) broad beans, cooked in unsalted water
1 cup (8 ounces) Andean beans (or any bean of your preference), cooked in unsalted water
1 cup (8 ounces) lentils, cooked in unsalted water
4 cups (32 ounces) milk
1 cup (8 ounces) white rice, cooked in unsalted water
1½ pounds pumpkin. Cook 1 pound in unsalted water and reserve the liquid. Cut the remaining uncooked ½ pound into small dice
1/3 cup cabbage, finely cut and cooked
1 10-ounce bag frozen peas and carrots
2 carrots, uncooked and cut into sticks
½ cup (4 ounces) cauliflower florets, uncooked
Garnish: 8 hard-boiled eggs, sliced. Chopped cilantro
1. Soak codfish in water for 24 hours, changing water at least twice.
2. Cook listed vegetables separately.
3. In a large pan, heat oil at medium heat, add onion, garlic, green pepper and cilantro. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add codfish and cook for 5 minutes at medium heat.
5. Add fish stock and cook for 10 additional minutes. Remove half the codfish and shred. Set aside.
6. Add the corn, broad beans, Andean beans, lentils and milk, and cook covered for 6-8 minutes.
7. Add rice, cooked pumpkin with its broth, beans, frozen peas and carrots, and cook covered for 5 minutes.
8. Add cauliflower, cabbage, carrot sticks, ½ pound of diced pumpkin and the remaining shredded codfish, and cook for 4 minutes uncovered.
9. Serve topped with sliced hard-boiled eggs and chopped cilantro.
To learn more about me or my recipes, visit me at DenisseOller.com and at AARP, where I am a chef and nutrition expert.