Yields 6 servings
Plantain Cups Ingredients:
3 large green plantains
Canola oil for frying
Special Equipment: plantain press designed to make cups
Heat oil to 360ºF.
1. Peel green plantains and cut into 2-inch chunks.
2. Fry the plantain pieces for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the plantains and let cool for about 1 minute.
3. Using the plantain press designed to make cups, place fried plantains in the mold lengthwise. Press down firmly to form a cup. Cautiously remove the cup.
4. Re-fry the molded plantain in the hot oil until golden brown (2 to 3 minutes).
5. Remove the cups, drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. When cool enough to handle, stuff with your favorite filling.
Shrimp Enchilado Ingredients:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium Spanish onion, small dice
3 garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 red pepper, deveined, small dice
2 plum tomato, skinned, seeded, small dice
¼ cup chardonnay
¼ cup tomato sauce
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, cut in half
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Cook onions, red peppers and garlic over medium heat for approximately 6 minutes. Add tomato and cook another 4 minutes.
2. Add wine, tomato sauce and red pepper flakes, bring to a boil. Add shrimp, salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat and cook covered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink. Adjust seasoning.
3. Fill tostones cups, garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
To learn more about me or my recipes, visit me at DenisseOller.com and at AARP, where I am a chef and nutrition expert.