Chef Denisse Oller invites us to taste the traditional rice dish of Spain with a meat variation instead of the traditional seafood version.
Yields 6-8 servings
1 teaspoon saffron*
6 cups chicken broth
3 ounces ground chorizo*
1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch cubes
½ teaspoon sweet paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 Spanish onion, finely cut
5 garlic cloves, finely cut
2 pounds fresh tomatoes, peeled and seedless, cut in small pieces
1 medium red pepper, seedless, cut into small dice
½ teaspoon fresh rosemary
3 cups short grain rice, preferably arborio*
5 ounces frozen peas
1 red pepper, cut in thin strips
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Use a paella skillet (paellera) or 13-inch cast-iron skillet to heat chicken broth and add saffron. Keep at low heat.
3. Sauté chorizo in skillet at low heat for 1 minute. Set aside.
4. Increase heat and add chicken. Brown for 8 minutes and set aside.
5. Add olive oil to skillet; sauté onion for 3–4 minutes or until brown. Add garlic, tomato, pepper, chorizo and rosemary. Cook for 5 additional minutes.
6. Add rice and mix gently for 3–4 minutes to integrate flavors. When moisture is absorbed, add chicken pieces and chicken broth.
7. Cook at medium heat for 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
8. Add peas and place in oven. Cook for 10–12 minutes or until rice is completely cooked. Remove from oven and garnish with red pepper strips.
9. Let rest for a few minutes before serving.
You may also like: Vegetarian paella.
To learn more about me or my recipes, visit me at DenisseOller.com and at AARP, where I am a chef and nutrition expert.