Recipe and photos contributed to Hispanic Kitchen by Carolyn Swaney
EVERYONE loves fajitas, it’s easy to see why. It’s an entire meal rolled up in a fluffy tortilla — veggies, chicken (or beef, or shrimp…) some spicy salsa, and you’re in a grilled up heaven.
This recipe was born from everything that I love about mexican food. Every chicken dish that I’ve had deep in Mex has been laced with distinct flavor of citrus, with heat on top, through salsas and sauces, rather than sizzling your tounge with the meat itself. Super-hot marinades definitely have their place, especially in my kitchen, but when there are 12 other people that I’m serving, I prefer to go easy on the actual dish and light up the salsa, just like I was used to in the Yucatan. Try these on for size and you won’t be disappointed.
Fajitas de pollo
Makes 15 servings – Halve the recipe for a “normal” family dinner, and throw the extras (chicken and veggies!) over rice, salad, whatever!
5 chicken breasts, butterflied or lightly pounded
4 limes, juiced
1 tangelo or orange, juiced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
3 bell peppers, any combination of colored peppers
1 large onion, cut in half
2 roma tomatoes
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp mexican oregano
pepper to taste
toppings – sour cream, cheese, salsa, guacamole
1. Trim and pound chicken, or butterfly for thinner slices, then set aside.
2. In a large dish, place next six ingredients, juices through salt and pepper, and whisk together with a fork. Add chicken and turn, coating in the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
3. In the meantime, cut bell peppers and onions into substantial slices, about 1/2 inch. Cut the tomatoes in 6-8 wedges. Coat with olive oil and add oregano and pepper.
4. Prepare fresh tortillas and toppings, and preheat the grill over medium to medium-high heat.
5. Grill the chicken for 6-8 minutes on each side. After the first side, grill the peppers and onions in a vegetable grilling basket, or in a grill pan on the stove over high heat 6. Slice chicken into thin strips and serve with hot tortillas and vegetables!