Empanadas de Nutella y Queso
By Sweet Life / Vianney Rodriguez
Makes 15-20 empanadas or 30 empanaditas
8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
2½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp sea salt
1 egg lightly beaten with 1 tsp water
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp sugar
16 ounces (1 lb) queso asadero, cut into small cubes
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF and lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. In a mixer bowl combine cream cheese and butter until well blended.
3. Scrap down sides to fully incorporate.
4. Add the flour and salt. Mix well.
5. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for about 1 minute.
6. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
7. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick.
8. Divide dough and roll out each piece to 1/8 inch thick.
9. Using a glass, circle cookie cutter or knife cut desired rounds.
10. Larger for empanadas or smaller circles for empanaditas.
11. Place a cube of cheese in middle of dough and top with Nutella.
12. Fold over dough and seal or crimp tightly with fingers or fork.
13. Arrange on baking sheet and brush tops with egg wash.
14. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over empanadas.
15. Bake 12-17 minutes, rotate pan if uneven baking.