Recipe courtesy of our friend Cielito Rosado. Cielito is online at http://www.cielitorosado.com.
Note: The flan can be made family style or in individual portions as in the photo.
Yields 8-10 Portions
Prep. 15 Mins. Cooking: 1 hour
1 cup sugar to make caramel
¼ cup water
8 oz. cream cheese
1 cup grated coconut
½ cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1½ cup of Half & Half (light cream)
1. Heat oven to 350ºF. Place water in a large baking mold to create a double-boiler.
2. Using a microwave-safe bowl, mix the the sugar and water and cook in the microwave on high for 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Pour the caramel in an 8-inch mold for a family flan or in individual molds.
4. In a food processor, mix the cream cheese, coconut and sugar. Add the eggs one by one and the rest of the ingredients and blend until uniform.
5. Pour the mixture into the mold with the caramel. Place this mold into the larger mold with the water (the double boiler) and put them in the oven.
6. Cook in oven for about 1 hour. Check for doneness by inserting a skewer or knife between the mold and the flan. If it comes out clean, the flan is done.
7. Garnish with some coconut flakes.
8. Let cool and chill in the fridge before serving.