Recipe is courtesy of our friend Puerto Rican chef Cielito Rosado.
Yields 8 Servings
Prep. 15 Min. Cooking: 2½ hours
1 Eye Round (Pot Roast) 3-4 lbs. (aka Boliche, or Lechón de Mechar)
Season the meat with:
4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons mashed garlic
½ teaspoon fresh oregano
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
To stuff the meat:
½ cup finely diced onion
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup cooking ham, finely diced or 6 strips of bacon, chopped
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup stuffed olives, chopped
¼ cup sofrito sauce
1 cup tomato sauce
2 tablespoons mustard
1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon browning sauce
2 cups water or white wine
1 bay leaf
4 medium potatoes, cut into chunks
1 cup of carrots, sliced
1. Clean the meat. Make a deep incision in both ends and season with the adobo mixture.
2. Mix the stuffing ingredients and stuff the meat. Let marinate for at least 1 hour.
3. In a large pot, heat some olive olive oil, put in the meat and heat on medium, searing the meat all around. Then remove the meat and set aside.
4. In the same pot, put the sofrito, salsa, mustard, worcestershire and browning sauces and cook on medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the meat, the water (or white wine), the bay leaf and cook on medium heat for 1 to 2 hours, moving it occasionally.
6. Add the potatoes and carrots, put the lid on and cook for 30 minutes.