Zanahorias en Escabeche (Spicy Pickled Carrots)
- 10 carrots peeled, cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 2 jalapeño peppers sliced (removing seeds is optional)
- 2 habanero peppers sliced
- 2 chiles de árbol torn into pieces
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup water
When my mom would open a can of jalapeños in escabeche (pickled jalapeños), we would always fight over who would get the carrots because there were only a few per can. Now, you can make a whole jar filled only with spicy carrots!
Besides just carrots, you could add some chopped cauliflower, red bell pepper, english cucumber and celery for a mixed vegetable escabeche.