Tropical Salad with Avocado and Grilled Shrimp
- 1 pound medium or large shrimp peeled and deveined
- Ginger Dressing see make-ahead recipe below
- 1/2 pineapple peeled, cored and diced
- 2 mangoes peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 papaya peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 head Butter lettuce core removed, washed and chopped
- 1 fresh Hass avocado seeded, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- Ginger Dressing
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons ginger finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 2 lemons zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
Fresh tropical fruits topped with warm grilled shrimp make a perfect summertime salad.
- Place shrimp in a medium bowl. Mix with half of the ginger dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Thread shrimp onto pre-soaked wooden skewers.
- Pre-heat a grill or grill pan to high heat. Grill shrimp until cooked through, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from heat. Using a fork or tongs, slide shrimp off of skewers and place shrimp in a bowl covered with foil to keep the shrimp warm.
- In a medium bowl, toss together pineapple, mango and papaya.
- Divide lettuce equally among salad plates and top each plate with even amounts of pineapple mixture, avocado slices and shrimp. Drizzle with reserved dressing.
- Place garlic, ginger, cilantro, lemon zest and juice, and oil in a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- The grilled shrimp can be served warm or cold with this salad.