Sopa de Patacones (Fried Green Plantain Soup)
- 2-1/2 liters water (approx. 10-12 cups)
- 1/2 white onion chopped or grated
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3/4 cup carrots chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs beef (chuck or beef short rib, etc.) cut into cubes
- 2 cubes Colombian aliños (seasoning) or 4 tbsp
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups Russet potatoes cut into cubes (approx. 6 medium potatoes)
- 12 Patacones or fried green plantain chips (made with about 2 green plantains)
- cilantro chopped, for garnish
Colombians have come up with all kinds of different soup recipes with a variety of ingredients, such as this fried green plantain or Colombian patacones soup that I'll be sharing with you.
The soup itself is very basic because it's simply a beef broth made with potatoes and carrots, but its flavor is completely enhanced once you add the smashed fried green plantains, also known as "tostones." You'll see that the combination of the beef broth with the fried green plantain is absolutely fabulous.
I used Colombian aliños as seasoning; aliños are a blend of vegetables that add plenty of flavor to a variety of dishes.