Shrimp and Crab Stuffed Roasted Green Chiles
- 6 green chiles (Anaheim, New Mexico or Hatch)
- grapeseed oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 jalapeño, red fresno or serrano peppers minced
- 2 tomatillos finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro miced, plus more for garnish
- pinch of Mexican oregano
- 8 ounces lump crab meat shredded
- 10-12 large cooked shrimp chopped small
- 2 cups your favorite red or green salsa (A warm. cooked salsa works best for this recipe)
- 2 limes
Give me a roasted green chile and I am happy! Give me a shrimp and crab stuffed green chile and I will love you forever! OK, maybe not forever, but it truly is one of my favorite ways to enjoy roasted green chiles. When I say green chiles, I am referring to the light green chiles known as Hatch, New Mexico or Anaheim peppers. And who doesn't love a huge batch of roasted green chile for pork chile verde? So tasty! For the most part, these green chile varieties are on the mild to medium side when it comes to the heat scale. But you can't always count on that being true. My suggestion would be to taste a small piece of the pepper closer to the seeds, if possible, to get the closest reading.
Find yourself with too many green chiles? Roast them, peel them and then freeze them. They freeze well and are delicious for preparing salsas, stews and soups.