Salsa Verde Chicken Tostadas
- For the Salsa Verde
- 1 pound tomatillos husks removed
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 3 serrano chiles
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 cups water
- For the Chicken
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium red onion diced
- 2 banana or Anaheim peppers thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup chicken broth
- For the Tostadas
- 3 cups refried beans
- 3 ripe avocados pitted and lightly mashed
- 1 serrano chile finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mexican crema or sour cream
- 12 tostada shells
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce thinly sliced
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco
You can never have too many recipes for chicken tostadas and these crisp Mexican tostadas — piled high with refried beans, shredded chicken in a spicy salsa verde, guacamole, shredded lettuce, and crumbled queso fresco — make for a delicious meal any day of the week. These tostadas are super easy to make, including the homemade salsa verde, and they are a great way to use up leftover rotisserie chicken.
- Bring the tomatillos, onion, serrano chiles, garlic and water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover; reduce heat to low. Let simmer over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes until tomatillos are cooked through. Remove from heat; let cool slightly. Puree tomatillos, onion, chiles, garlic and water in a blender until smooth; season with salt.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Saute onion and peppers for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the shredded chicken, chicken broth, and salsa verde; season with salt and black pepper to taste. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 12 minutes or until heated through.
- While the chicken is simmering, heat the refried beans in a small saucepan over medium heat. Prepare the guacamole by mixing together the avocado, serrano chile, and Mexican crema, mashing with a fork until desired consistency; season lightly with salt.
- For the tostadas, spread 3 tablespoons of refried beans on a tostada shell. Top with 3 to 4 tablespoons of the salsa verde chicken, 1 to 2 tablespoons of guacamole, shredded lettuce, and 1 tablespoon of crumbled queso fresco.