Salpicón de Res (Honduran Chopped Beef)
- 1½ pounds lean beef
- 2 red onions (1 finely chopped and 1 roughly chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely diced
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 1 Roma tomato finely diced (optional)
- 1 small bunch cilantro chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1-2 celery sticks chopped
- 2-3 culantro (recaito) leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4-6 cups beef or vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
Beef Salpicón is a traditional Honduran dish that is both delicious and very easy to make. Given that the recipe doesn’t require any additional fats or oils, the dish is low in fat — although not necessarily low in calories — compared to similar dishes containing meat.
Make salpicón in about 20 minutes cooking time, use the pressure cooker. The stove-top method takes about an hour.
Serve salpicón at room temperature or chilled. Serve with some rice and a garden salad for a balanced meal.