Quinoa and Calamari Salad
- 2 cups quinoa rinsed under cold water
- 3 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 pound calamari (tubes and tentacles) cleaned, and tubes cut into slices
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes cut in halves
- 1 12-oz can artichoke hearts cut in halves (discard the liquid)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (reserve 1 tbsp)
- 6-8 large fresh basil leaves washed and roughly chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
Quinoa is one of my favorite foods to eat! You can make savory and sweet dishes using quinoa. This seed is less starchy than rice or wheat, which makes it a great choice for people watching the quality/quantity of carbs they eat. It is an excellent source of plant-based protein as well as gut-friendly dietary fiber.
Here is an easy, delicious and nutritious quinoa recipe, perfect for the summer!
- In a medium saucepan, combine vegetable broth or water, bay leaf and rinsed quinoa. Bring to a boil with lid on. Once it starts boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and let it rest.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the skillet is really hot, add 1 tablespoon of oil (make sure oil coats the bottom of the pan) and immediately after add the calamari on a single layer. Cook for 1½ minutes. Remove from heat and place on a shallow plate, previously placed on top of ice cubes. This will stop the cooking process.
- In the same skillet you cooked the calamari, and over medium-heat, add the remaining oil. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Increase the heat to medium-high; add tomatoes and artichokes. Cook for about 2 minutes or until tomatoes start to render their juice.
- Add cooked quinoa and season with a little extra salt and pepper if necessary. Cook for about 2 extra minutes. Remove from heat.
- Mix in reserved calamari and chopped basil. Serve immediately.