Potato and Chorizo Casserole
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 Russet potatoes peeled and sliced into thick rounds
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup chorizo crumbled
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- salt to taste
- fresh ground pepper to taste
Winter is almost over, so I decided to make this warm and delicious potato and chorizo casserole. Don't get me wrong: This can be added to your list of year-long favorites. It's not just for the winter, but I enjoy it so much more when it's snowing outside! It turns any dinner into a cozy occasion.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add butter and cook chorizo for 5 minutes or until desired crunchiness. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Rub a squared baking dish with butter and layer half of the potato slices in dish, overlapping slightly.
- Sprinkle the chorizo mix and half of the cheese over potato layer.
- Layer the rest of the potato slices on top, overlapping slightly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, salt and pepper.
- Pour the milk mix over potatoes.
- Add green onions, remaining cheese and bacon mix on top.
- Cover and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until custard is cooked and set.
- Remove foil and cook for 10 more minutes, or until top is browned.