Piña Colada Tres Leches Cake
- 2 8-ounce cans crushed pineapple
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 10-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 cup cream of coconut
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 ounces White Rum (optional)
- 8 ounces whipped topping
- 16 maraschino cherries
Serve this tropical piña colada tres leches cake at your next summer cookout! All the flavor of a creamy piña colada in a tres leches cake topped with whipped topping, crushed pineapple, toasted coconut, and maraschino cherries. Tres leches cakes are a popular Latin American dessert that consists in soaking a cake in a mixture of three types of milk: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, whole milk or half-and-half. But to give this cake a creamy coconut flavor, I’ve substituted cream of coconut and coconut milk. Just be warned that this cake is so good that everyone is going to ask for seconds.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Drain the cans of pineapple, reserving 1 cup of the juice. Set aside 1/3 cup of drained crushed pineapple to use for garnishing the cake.
- Whisk together the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, and 1 cup of the reserved pineapple syrup in a large mixing bowl until well combined. Stir in the two cans of crushed pineapple and 2/3 cup of the coconut. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish. Bake cake at 350°F for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, whisk together the evaporated milk, cream of coconut, and coconut milk (and the rum, if using).
- Remove from oven. Immediately poke holes all over cake with a butter knife or fork. Ladle the tres leches mixture over cake. Let cake cook to room temperature.
- While cake is cooling, toast the remaining 1/3 cup coconut in a medium nonstick skillet over low heat, stirring constantly to avoid burning, until a light golden brown. Remove from heat and transfer to heat-proof bowl.
- Once the cake has cooled completely, frost the cake with whipped topping. Garnish with the reserved crushed pineapple, toasted coconut, and maraschino cherries. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.