Papas Chorreadas (Potatoes Drizzled With a Cheese and Tomato Sauce)
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup scallions (approx. 3-4 medium stalks) cut into 1-inch julienne strips
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup grated cheese (queso fresco, mozzarella, Parmesan, feta, pepper jack, etc.)
- salt and pepper to taste
Due to its climate, Colombia grows a great variety of potatoes, some of them which can only be found in the Andean region, like papa criolla. So it's no surprise that they have a long list of recipes that are made with potatoes such as any kind of stew or soup like sancocho, tamales, empanadas, papa salada (salted potatoes) and papas chorreadas, which is the recipe I'll be showing you how to make today.
In all honesty, it's one of the easiest recipes you can make because it's pretty much just a combination of hogao (onion and tomato sauce) with heavy cream and cheese. The best part is that you can use whatever kind of cheese you want, in the video I used queso fresco which is what I had on hand but you can use mozzarella, Parmesan, feta and if you like spicy food, let me tell you, they come out amazing with pepper jack!