Fried Cheese Tacos
- 1/2 cup canola oil for frying (you can use olive oil if you prefer)
- 8-10 corn tortillas
- 10-12 ounces queso de freír queso blanco and queso panela both work. Slice into 8-10 equal slices.
- For Garnish
- 3 cups lettuce shredded
- 1/3 white onion thinly sliced
- 2 Roma tomato sliced or diced
- 1 large avocado sliced or diced
- chopped cilantro
- salsa (Your favorite red or green salsa will do just fine)
- Mexican crema or sour cream
- Lime wedges
Sometimes the most delicious tacos are prepared with the simplest of ingredients. Fried cheese tacos, yes I said fried cheese tacos! This recipe is made with queso de freír and comes together quickly; you could be sitting and enjoying them tonight!
There are a variety of brand names available when it comes to queso de freír (frying cheese). Some varieties melt more than others, and they are all delicious. The golden crust on the fried cheese just adds more flavor to the dish.
The key to building these fried cheese tacos is to have all of your ingredients in place before you begin to fry the cheese. As I stated above, some varieties will melt more than others. Some of the popular brands of queso de freír are Tropical and Cacique.