Colombian Shrimp Cocktail
- The Shrimp
- 1 pound uncooked medium shrimp (40-50) peeled and deveined
- salt to taste
- The Sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 lime juiced (some people use a whole lime per serving)
- 1 tablespoon garlic water (see note below)**
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- Saltine crackers for serving (optional)
You will find many different recipes for shrimp cocktail all over the world, especially in Latin America. The Colombian version never caught my attention because when you compare it to other recipes, it just simply doesn't look that good. I mean, what's so great about eating cooked shrimp covered in mayo and ketchup? Turns out, it's probably the best shrimp cocktail recipe I have ever had.
The combination of the ketchup, mayo, lime juice and garlic water goes really well with the shrimp. That's why it's no wonder it's one of the most popular snacks you can get while you're at the beach in Colombia or in this case, in the comfort of your own home.
** To make the garlic water, fill a small airtight bottle or container with water, place 2-3 garlic cloves inside, cover it and keep it in the fridge overnight.