Chipotle Corn Cakes (Tortitas de Elote)
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper Fresh cracked
- salt to taste
- 2 cups corn fresh if possible
- 2 chipotles in adobo
- 1/3 green onions sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese grated
- 2 large eggs beaten lightly
- oil for frying
This late summer side dish or snack this Mexican-style chipotle corn cake is delicious. With a few added aromatics, like green onion and chipotles in adobo, these corn cakes make for a superb appetizer to your dinner party.
Substitute half of the corn in this recipe with cooked tuna or shrimp and the dish gets even more interesting. I will often prepare a seafood version during lent season or when I am in the mood for something light for lunch or dinner.
The best corn cakes are prepared using fresh corn, but there are some quality frozen varieties that work in a pinch.
Replace the 2 cups of corn with 2 cups of your favorite vegetable to create your favorite flavor. Just make sure that the vegetables are finely diced. If working with crispy vegetables, I suggest blanching or steaming them until cooked before adding to the mix.