Chipotle Braised Short Ribs (Slow Cooker)
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 3-4 tablespoons grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes 14-15 ounces
- 1 can tomato sauce 8 ounces
- 1 cup ale (you can also use beef or chicken broth)
- 2-3 chipotles in adobo minced (depending on your heat level)
- 3 tablespoons Maggi sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
Cooler weather just begs for these spicy chipotle braised short ribs, hot and tender, right out of the slow cooker. A quick sear to seal in the flavors is as difficult as this recipes gets. Layer all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook low and slow.
Prepare a fancy dinner with fluffy mashed potatoes and roasted vegetables for a special occasion. Or, keep it simple and serve up braised short rib sliders on the next game day event. Anytime I need a quick and rich tomato sauce for braising, I really like the results when I use fire-roasted diced tomatoes with tomato sauce together. Not a big fan of beef? Try pork country-style ribs instead. Both will make you want to come back for seconds!
Change the flavor profile on these tasty ribs by just substituting the 1 cup of broth with 1 cup of red wine. This will yield a rich and flavorful sauce tasty enough for any special dinner.