Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 10 cups water
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 4 medium tomatoes roasted
- 1/2 medium yellow onions rough chopped
- 1 clove garlic peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 14 white or yellow corn tortillas sliced into ¼-inch-thick strips
- 1/3 cup canola oil for frying tortilla strips
- 2 pasilla or ancho chiles stemmed, seeded, and torn into large pieces
- pepper to taste
- 2 avocados peeled, pitted, and diced
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 2 cups quesadilla or asadero cheese shredded (optional ingredient)
- cabbage shredded (optional ingredient)
My gringo hubby loves chicken tortilla soup, and one day he decided to make some for me. He knows a lot about grilling, but not much about making soup so he asked me to help him out. We started out by making a list of all the flavors we love in tortilla soup and after several tries and lots of “so, so” versions, we finally got it right.
Over the years he’s watched me cook countless meals, experiment with different ingredients and the one thing we both knew this soup had to have was roasted tomatoes and fried chiles. The combination of these two added a special kick. So for this recipe the secret technique is doing just that, roasting and a little frying. Best of all, I love that we created this recipe together, con mucho amor and lots of patience. Tortilla soup goes great with a tall mountain of homemade tortilla strips and an ice-cold cerveza.
Roasted tomatoes and fried tortilla strips for the soup. Visit Muy Bueno Cookbook at http://muybuenocookbook.com/ for more delicious Latin recipes.