Carne en su Jugo (Braised Beef in a Tomatillo Broth)
- olive oil
- 2 bacon strips thick-cut and diced
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak sliced into 2-inch chunks
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- garlic powder to taste
- cumin to taste
- Mexican oregano to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds tomatillos poached
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup onion plus more for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 2 serrano peppers or jalapeños
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cups water or chicken broth
- 2 cups pinto beans cooked
- 1/3 cup radishes sliced; for garnish
- avocadoes slices, for garnish
- corn tortillas warm
Carne en su Jugo (Skirt Steak Braised in a Tomatillo Broth) is a popular dish prepared throughout Mexico, although it's originally from the state of Jalisco. This hearty beef stew can be prepared with a lesser cut of beef or pork. The beans are added before serving and the flavors only get better from there.
Carne en su Jugo can also be prepared with a less expensive cut of beef. It just may need to braise for a longer period of time to make sure it’s tender.
For a lighter broth, you can add fewer tomatillos when you blend the sauce or you can use Roma tomatoes as well.