Baked Tortas de Milanesa Chicken Sandwich
- For the Chicken
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups breadcrumbs
- 1 avocado
- 4 sandwich rolls
- For the Pico de Gallo
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1/4 onion
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper
- 10 sprigs cilantro
- Juice of half a lime
- For the Chipotle Mayo
- 1/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 chipotle chipotle in adobo
- 1 garlic clove
- squeeze of lime juice
- Pinch of salt
These Baked Tortas de Milanesa are loaded with avocado, Pico de Gallo and Chipotle Mayo. No frying either, just bread, the chicken cutlets and 12 minutes in the oven. You can also make a double batch and freeze some of the chicken cutlets for quick meals down the road. These Tortas will be loaded with flavor from the toppings, so the actual cutlets don’t need that much seasoning. The Pico de Gallo and Chipotle Mayo will generate most of the flavor.
- Start by slicing the chicken breasts in half horizontally. Place each half between plastic or wax paper and pound them out using a cleaver (or skillet)
- Build your Milanesa assembly station using a handful of flour, 2 eggs, and 1½ cups of breadcrumbs.
- If seasoning the breadcrumbs (optional), add a handful of Cotija cheese, ½ teaspoon chipotle powder and a generous pinch of salt.
- Dredge each cutlet in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs.
- Bake the cutlets for 12-15 minutes at 400ºF.
- For the chipotle mayonnaise, combine the following ingredients in a blender or food processor: ¼ cup mayonnaise, 1 chipotle in adobo, 1 garlic clove, a squeeze of lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Add a dash of water if the ingredients don't combine readily.
- For the Pico de Gallo, finely chop 1 Roma tomato, ¼ onion, ½ jalapeno, and 10 sprigs of cilantro. Mix well and add the juice of half a lime and a pinch of salt.
- Slice an avocado into thin strips for the sandwiches.
- Briefly toast the sandwich rolls.
- Each Milanesa de Torta gets a chicken cutlet (or two!), avocado, Pico de Gallo and Chipotle Mayonnaise.
- Serve immediately.