Bacalao Guisado (Salted Cod Stew)
- 2 pounds salted cod frozen
- 1 pound Yukon potatoes peeled and cut into medium-size pieces
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into medium-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 3 garlic clloves minced
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup green olives (whole or stuffed)
- 1-2 Roma tomatoes chopped
- 2 cups unsalted vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar separated
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
This succulent fish stew with bacalao, or salted cod, is just perfect to warm up on a chilly day.
- Cover the cod with cold water and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- As soon as it starts boiling, drain the water and repeat the process 3 more times, making sure to add a teaspoon of sugar in the last water. Drain and reserve.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil, add onions, garlic, bell pepper, oregano, bay leaf, tomatoes, teaspoon of sugar and pepper. Stir with a wooden spoon and cook for about 5 minutes. Check the saltiness, as you many NOT need to add extra salt.
- Add cod, tomato sauce, vegetable broth, olives, potatoes and carrots.
- Cover and let cook over medium heat, until potatoes and carrots are tender and the sauce thickens (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from heat. Enjoy as-is or serve with the rice of your choice.