Avocado and Tortilla Soup
- 1/2 cup onion minced
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 can (15.5 oz) tomatoes in juice diced
- 3 pints chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt with red pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 10 corn tortillas (day old) cut in strips
- 2 hass avocados ripe, fresh, peeled, seeded and cubed or sliced
- 2 cups queso fresco crumbled
- 2 limes quartered
Mexican tortilla soup, and most all soup recipes for that matter, are even better with a delicious Hass avocado topping. Savor this warm and rich tortilla soup featuring fresh avocado, queso fresco cheese, tortilla strips, and lime juice.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Hass Avocado Board.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.