Avocado, Potato and Queso Cotija Taquitos With Avocado Sauce
- For the Taquitos
- 3 medium Russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 medium Ripe, fresh Hass avocado pitted, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 egg
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- salt to taste (additional)
- For the Sauce
- 3 tomatillos rinsed and skinned
- 1/2 medium ripe fresh avocado pitted and peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Crunchy taquitos filled with creamy and cheesy goodness topped with avocado sauce. A perfect finger food for kids, but adults find these taquitos equally irresistible!
Find more great avocado recipes at Fresh Avocados - Love One Today.
For the Sauce (can be done in advance)
- In a saucepan, place tomatillos and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place cooked tomatillos into blender with avocado and cilantro. Blend on high until smooth; season with salt and pepper. If sauce is too thick, add some of the leftover tomatillo broth to loosen. Pour sauce into four individual bowls.
For the Taquitos
- Place potatoes in a medium stock pot with cold water, cover and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook until fork-tender. Drain water and mash with fork or potato masher. Add garlic powder, salt, pepper, cotija cheese and egg. Stir until combined. Fold in avocado and set aside.
- Wrap tortillas in a kitchen towel and place in the microwave for 1 minute until soft. Carefully remove from towel and allow to cool until easy to handle.
- Place two tablespoons of potato mash in the center of each tortilla. Fold one end of tortilla over filling and roll into a snug taquito, making sure to not roll too tightly, as tortilla can break apart. Secure taquito with toothpick.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. With tongs, carefully place each taquito into hot oil and fry; turning over until all sides are cooked and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Drain in a plate lined with paper towels. Remove toothpicks.
- On four plates, place three taquitos and a small bowl with sauce. Dip taquitos into sauce and enjoy!