Fresh chayote squash.
Yields 6 servings
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
4 tablespoons flour
1 medium yellow pepper, sliced
3 large chayote squash, peeled, pitted, sliced
6 cups vegetable broth, divided
½ cup water
Cilantro, coarsely chopped (for garnish)
Cilantro Sour Cream:
1/3 cup sour cream (can use fat-free if you prefer)
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
1/3 cup milk (can use skim milk if you prefer)
1. Spray large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot.
2. Sauté onion and garlic until tender; about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and ginger and cook over medium heat 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
3. Add squash, pepper, and 2 cups broth to saucepan; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer until squash is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Process mixture in food processor or blender until smooth; return to saucepan.
5. Add remaining broth and water continuing to heat; serving warm or cool to serve chilled.
6. Drizzle with cilantro sour cream and sprinkle of cilantro.